How To Select The Right Homeowners Or Renters Coverage
The secret to selecting the right amount of insurance coverage? Simple, the more information you provide, the more easily your agent can create a homeowner’s policy that’s right for you. Your homeowners insurance is there to protect you.
Consider these scenarios:
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, insurance can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
- The amount you pay for your homeowners insurance depends on many factors. Think of your personal housing situation, and the assets you want to protect.
- Are you a home or condo owner, a renter, or a landlord? As a home or condo owner, you want to make sure you’re protecting your home, your possessions, and yourself, family and guests in the event of damage or injury. Renters will want to protect their possessions, which will not be covered by a landlord’s insurance. And landlords want to protect their properties, while protecting themselves from liability.
- Do you have collections of art or other valuables? Your homeowners or renters insurance generally covers the contents of your house. However, there are often limits on items like jewelry, paintings, or other collectibles. Adding a scheduled personal property endorsement can provide coverage for your special belongings, with no deductible. Creating an inventory of your home or property’s contents is a good idea.
- Are you concerned about out-of-pocket expenses if your home or property becomes unlivable? You may find yourself with extra, unforeseen expenses, for repairs, replacements, or living costs. Your policy can help cover those.
Ask Your Agent
Your independent agent can help you find homeowners, renters, condo, or landlord insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to discuss when you talk:
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed?
- Can you talk me through my home’s features and the things I own, so I can make an informed decision about coverage?
- Are discounts available to me if I carry multiple policies, or have a security system and fire resistance?